Friday, June 25, 2010

For the Love of Basil


Take a deep, smelling breathe. Now take another deep breathe imagining what summer smells like. Anyone smell basil? I'll admit that I probably have a more active and vivid imagination than most, but it's really not that hard for me to smell the basil. Basil, to me, is one of those pleasures that upon first smell you never forget. So distinct. So original. So basil. It doesn't smell like anything else. I asked one of my sons to describe the smell of basil. He simply said 'it smells like basil. Basil doesn't smell like anything but itself.' I have smelled other things that could be described as basil-smelling, but basil itself is unique. Having said that, basil also tastes like itself. I'm talking about sweet basil here, by the way. There are many different varieties of basil on the market now. All of them worth searching out. Back when I was a new gardener - 13 or 14 years ago - I had wanted to add basil to my gardening menagerie. Surprise! Which kind do you want to grow? I had only cooked and was familiar with sweet basil. Thai, cinnamon, lemon...you name it, the garden center had it. I bought a couple of different kinds. I remember looking at the beautiful purple basil in my flower boxes on my deck. I never did cook with it, but it looked really great. The lemon basil smelled like... well lemon and basil. I used it to enhance the flavor of fresh lemonade that summer. Throw a handful of the leaves in some sparkling water and you have another treat.

No, I'm not making pesto today, if that's what you were thinking. The reason for my fixation on basil is because the following pasta dish just isn't worth making without fresh basil. I think there are a number of basil dishes about which that can be said. I am the queen of improv. I will substitute one thing for something else on the fly frequently. There are some ingredients whose uniqueness can not be equalled however and that is a line I refuse to cross. This is one of those times. The following recipe has been tried with dried basil and without basil at all. I was met with pained expressions. This meal comes together quickly and is on our table regularly, so they know what it's SUPPOSED to taste like. Thank you Tastes of Italia magazine for this gem!

Farfalle with Tomatoes

1/2 pound farfalle pasta (any kind of pasta is fine although we do love the farfalle best)
4 tbsp olive oil
6 cloves garlic, sliced the thickness of a dime
3 cups chopped tomatoes (now fresh tomatoes are great, but I have made this dish with canned petite diced tomatoes more often than not simply because tomatoes - when out of season - have an inferior taste to those in the can)
Pinch of salt
1/3 cup pine nuts (because my family does not share my love of pine nuts, I usually eliminate them. I think they're great though and encourage you to try them in this dish)
Pinch of dried red chile flakes
1 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
4 oz soft goat cheese (I usually add about 6 or 7 oz)
Freshly ground pepper

Cook pasta according to package directions.

Meanwhile, add olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook on low for 4 minutes. Add tomatoes, salt, pine nuts (if using) and red chile flakes. Simmer 7 to 8 minutes. Add basil leaves and toss. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.

Drain the cooked pasta and transfer to serving bowl. Add the tomato mixture and the goat cheese. Toss well.

Season with freshly ground pepper and serve immediately.


As mentioned above, we LOVE this dish. It has been a faithful go-to meal for a couple of years now. I serve with it hard, crusty bread to sop up the juices.

Always, always 5 smiling sets of thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment