Sunday, June 27, 2010

Dutch Baby (German Pancake)


Several years ago the great Egg People of America (I don't know their real title) came up with the slogan 'the incredible, edible egg'. I loved and continue to love it! I still find myself humming the background music from time to time. Tell me you're not doing it right now. We all know eggs are evil, right? No. In fact, if your belief is that eggs are going to kill you, you should probably stand down from eating at my house. We love eggs. We eat them in every form and shape. I have four kids. Not one of them - from the cynic to the soft-hearted - failed to recognize me as a rock star when I showed them the magic morph that takes place when you combine egg whites and a high-speed mixer to create meringue. How about poaching? Want to impress your kids or spouse? Let them watch you slide this gelatinous, unappealingly quivering raw egg into gently boiling water. Wait a couple of minutes, turn your spoon a couple of time...and culinary sophisticated beauty will emerge from that pot. Your question should be 'what CAN'T I do with these eggs in my refrigerator?'.

Eggs, of course, can be eaten for any meal of the day. I/we love to have fun with breakfast here though. I am an early riser who awakes thinking of food. I have a friend who chants 'food is love' frequently. I share his belief. To welcome my family into the new day with smells of breakfast luring them out of bed, is one of my first joys of every morning. Eggs make all this possible. They are inexpensive, versatile and always present (in my house). The following recipe is so easy a six-year old can prepare it. Literally. My son gets up early with me most mornings so he's the sous chef here. For this particular recipe, he is the head chef. It is that easy. And wait until you see the results!

Dutch Baby (German Pancake)

3 large eggs
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tbsp unsalted butter
jarred caramel
strawberries

Prehead oven to 400 degrees F. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs. Add flour slowly and whisk until blended. Whisk in milk and salt.

In a large oven-proof skillet (a black cast iron skillet works well) over medium heat, melt butter. Pour batter into skillet and place the skillet in the oven.

Bake until the pancake is lightly browned and puffed, about 20 minutes.

Remove from oven. Loosen edges witha knife and turn out onto a plate.

Serve immediately.

We cut it like a pizza, added some chopped strawberries and drizzled warm caramel over the lot. Amazing! By doubling this recipe and making two pancakes, we had enough to feed six people. This is a must-try! So easy and so impressive!!

btw, this recipe is from The Big Book of Breakfast by Maryana Vollstedt

2 comments:

  1. After reading this, Liz, I realize this was a bad day to start South Beach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. South Beach isn't really very good for you, Bob:) I learned that in my nutrition class!

    ReplyDelete