Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Bacon Waffles -The Ultimate Breakfast


Everything tastes better with bacon. Amen. Waffles are great all the time. Amen. What happens when you combine the two? Absolute bliss. Bacon waffles are something I learned about from baker-extraordinaire, Gale Gand. When her Brunch book launched last year, I was fortunate enough to attend an intimate booksigning with her at the helm. I am not a baker. I am not a precision person. I like throwing a handful of this and a pinch of that into whatever I'm creating. Baking scares me. If the ingredients are not precise then the chemical magic will not happen. Too much pressure. I had seen Gale on TV and really wanted to see her in person, so I bought the book. What a delightful surprise this book has turned out to be. Every recipe works and every recipe is delicious! She is a girl after my own heart. Everything has butter and cream and fat and sugar in it. And, most importantly, she makes no apologies about it! Refreshing. Anyway, enough gushing....

Kathy's Bacon Waffles

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp sugar
2 lg eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup milk
4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
10 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled (she calls for 6. I like 10 better)
Maple syrup, for serving

Heat a waffle iron.

In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, milk, and melted butter. Stir the crumbled bacon into the wet ingredients. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients all at once with a wooden spoon until just combined. Don't overmix the batter; it should be lumpy.

For each waffle, pour 1/2 to 1 cup of the batter (or the amount recommended by the waffle-iron maker) onto the waffle iron; bake as directed by the manufacturer. Serve hot off the griddle, with the maple syrup.



If my kids had their way, we would be serving these three times a week. This is love at first taste! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment